The Scilly & Netherlands Fake war lasted 335 years.

This war was fought between the Netherlands and the Isle of Scilly, which is located off the southwest coast of Great Britain.
The war started in 1651, but like many wars of that era it was not taken seriously and soon forgotten about.
Three centuries passed before the two countries finally agreed to a peace treaty in 1986, making their war the longest in human history.
War duration: (1651-1986) Three hundred and thirty-five years. Casualties: None.


Scilly is probably Britain’s best-kept secret.
A sub-tropical paradise just 28 miles southwest of Lands End – this has to be the ‘perfect holiday’ destination.
Sub-tropical Climate, White Sand Beaches, Peace and Tranquility.
If you are looking for beautiful white beaches, exotic sub-tropical plants and a quality of life that is difficult to find in this busy World, then the Isles of Scilly are your destination of choice.
There are five inhabited islands in the archipelago, set amongst hundreds of smaller islands and rocky islets, which provide homes to numerous species of seabirds and marine animals.
via Listverse and Cornwall Online 

Charles Sturt, the Great River Explorer, circa 1830.

Captain Charles Sturt is regarded as an icon in the history of Australian exploration.
In 1828 Sturt received permission from Governor Darling to explore the area of the Macquarie River in western New South Wales. It was not, however, until 10 November that the party started out.
It consisted of Sturt, his servant Joseph Harris, two soldiers and eight convicts; on 27 November Sturt was joined by Hamilton Hume as his first assistant. Hume’s experience proved to be very useful.
A week was spent at Wellington Valley breaking in oxen and horses and on 7 December the real start into comparatively little known country was made. 1828–29 was a period of drought and there was difficulty in getting sufficient water.
The courses of the Macquarie, Bogan and Castlereagh rivers had been followed, and though its importance was scarcely sufficiently realized, the Darling River had been discovered. The party returned to Wellington Valley on 21 April 1829.
The expedition proved that northern New South Wales was not an inland sea, but deepened the mystery of where the western-flowing rivers of New South Wales went.
In 1829 Governor Darling approved an expedition to solve this mystery. Sturt proposed to travel down the Murrumbidgee River, whose upper reaches had been seen by the Hume and Hovell expedition.
In place of Hume, who was unable to join the party, George Macleay went “as a companion rather than as an assistant”. A whaleboat built in sections was carried with them which was assembled, and on 7 January 1830 the eventful voyage down the Murrumbidgee began.
In January 1830, Sturt’s party reached the confluence of the Murrumbidgee and a much larger river, which Sturt named the Murray River. It was in fact the same river which Hume and Hovell had crossed further upstream and named the Hume.
Several times the party was in danger from the Aborigines but Sturt always succeeded in appeasing them.
Sturt then proceeded down the Murray, until he reached the river’s confluence with the Darling. Sturt had now proved that all the western-flowing rivers eventually flowed into the Murray.
In February 1830, the party reached a large lake which Sturt called Lake Alexandrina.
A few days later, they reached the sea. There they made the disappointing discovery that the mouth of the Murray was a maze of lagoons and sandbars, impassable to shipping.
The party then faced the ordeal of rowing back up the Murray and Murrumbidgee, against the current, in the heat of an Australian summer. Their supplies ran out and when they reached the site of Narrandera in April they were unable to go any further.
Sturt sent two men overland in search of supplies and they returned in time to save the party from starvation, but Sturt went blind for some months and never fully recovered his health.
By the time they arrived back in Sydney they had rowed and sailed nearly 2,900 kilometres of the river system.
via Charles Sturt – Wikipedia

The 1st Sydney Post Office, c.1885.

The first Sydney Post Office: This photograph was taken a few years before the building was demolished in 1889. (Photos: State Library of NSW)
As the population of the colony grew, so did the volume of incoming mail.
When ships arrived in Sydney Cove they were mobbed by people searching for letters and parcels.
By 1809 there were escalating complaints to the Lieutenant-Governor of fraud, theft and extortion at the docks.
The New South Wales Corps, which had deposed Governor Bligh in 1808, moved to rein in the chaos by appointing an official postmaster.
On 25 April 1809 Isaac Nichols, an emancipated convict, was appointed as Postmaster, a position that authorized him to board ships and receive letters and parcels addressed to people within the colony.
He was ordered to establish an office at his home in George Street, where letters could be picked up and the collection prices would be fixed.
On 26 June 1809 Isaac Nichols boarded the brig Experiment and collected the first bag of mail from Britain.
Source: vintage everyday

Dennis Gill, Friend and Gentleman.


Dennis Gill, Comp and Linotype Operator (Retired)
The Yorke Peninsula Country Times is produced in Kadina, South Australia and is a family owned country weekly newspaper.
It has been in the hands of the Ellis family for quite a number of years.
Nowadays, it is computer typeset, the featured picture above is from the last years of Hot Metal at the Times (in the 1980s).
The Linotype operator pictured above is Dennis Gill, who started his apprenticeship as a Hand and Machine Composing Apprentice with the company way back in 1958.
I have known Dennis for the past 55 years and what a good bloke he is. Dennis originally came from the port town of Wallaroo.
The current General Manager of the YP Times is former Compositor and family member Michael Ellis.

Why Ancient Egyptians Loved Cats.

via Wikimedia Commons
by: James MacDonald
At the ancient site of Saqqara, just outside Cairo, a 4,500-year-old tomb has yielded an unexpected bounty: dozens of mummified cats and cat statues.
The ancient Egyptians’ affinity for animals is well documented. Archaeologists have discovered pampered pet dogs and even private zoos.
Cats, however, occupied a special space in Ancient Egypt.
According to James Allen Baldwin, cats are present in Egypt’s archaeological record as far back as the predynastic period, almost 5,000 years ago.
Cats likely became so entwined with Egyptian life for practical reasons: Agriculture attracted rodents, which attracted wild cats.
Humans learned to protect and value the creatures that kept their fields and granaries rodent-free.
Cats’ fondness for napping in the sun led to early associations between the cat and the sun god, Ra. There is abundant archaeological evidence, however, of cats serving multiple roles.
Cats were depicted protecting households against rodents and venomous snakes, but also as helpers for bird hunters and as pampered pets.
Cats have been found buried in human graves, although the exact relationship between cat and human isn’t always clear.
Some cats were buried with offerings, indicating that someone was planning for the animals’ afterlives.
The recent discovery is one of the oldest examples to date of a cat burial.
Starting around 1000 B.C.E., gigantic cemeteries full of tens of thousands of cats became fairly widespread.
The cats were elaborately wrapped and decorated, possibly by temple attendants.
Roman travelers to Egypt described how regular Egyptians revered cats, sometimes travelling long distances to bury a deceased cat in a cemetery.
Killing a cat may have even been a capital offense.
Source: Why Ancient Egyptians Loved Cats So Much | JSTOR Daily

Nellie Bly Gets a Statue on Roosevelt Island.

Image: AP Images
Elizabeth Cochran Seaman (5 May, 1864 – 27 January, 1922), better known by her pen name Nellie Bly, was an American journalist who was widely known for her record-breaking trip around the world in 72 days, in emulation of Jules Verne‘s fictional character Phileas Fogg, and an exposé in which she worked undercover to report on a mental institution from within.
She was a pioneer in her field, and launched a new kind of investigative journalism. Bly was also a writer, inventor, and industrialist.
The Washington Post reports that Bly is getting her own statue at Roosevelt Island in New York, where a 23-year-old Bly spent ten days undercover as a patient in the asylum on the island uncovering the mistreatment patients received there.

She truly gave it her all as a reporter: to get into the asylum she practised looking insane in the mirror, trying out different “far-away expressions” because she believed they had a crazy air, and embedding herself into the world she was reporting in ushered in a new kind of undercover journalism.
After quitting and then coming back to journalism, Bly died of pneumonia in 1922.
The organization the Roosevelt Island Operating Corp is currently sponsoring a competition for an artist to create the monument, who will have a budget of $500,000.
The statue will be unveiled in spring 2020.
New York City has recently turned its attention to raising monuments in tribute to marginalized figures who made history as a corrective to a city filled with statues in honour of men (as of 2017 there were 150 of the men, just 5 of women.)
Source: Nellie Bly Gets Statue on Roosevelt Island