Koroit /kəˈrɔɪt/ is a small rural town in western Victoria, Australia a few kilometres north of the Princes Highway, 18 kilometres (11 mi) north-west of Warrnambool and 278 kilometres (173 mi) west of Melbourne.
It is located amidst rolling green pastures on the North rim of Tower Hill.
Prior to European settlement Koroit area was a rich source of foods for the Koroitch Gundidj people, whose descendants retain special links with the area.
The first European knowledge of the area is the confirmed sighting of Tower Hill by French explorers sailing with Captain Nicolas Baudin aboard Le Géographe in 1802.
The first European settler came to the Koroit area in 1837. A large number of Irish immigrants made Koroit their home in the 1840s and 1850s. One of the strongest and most obvious links between Koroit and Ireland are the potato crops grown in the rich volcanic soil surrounding the town.
Eight sites in Koroit are listed in the Register of the National Estate.
What became the Port Fairy railway was extended to the town in 1890, along with a branch to Hamilton, both being closed in 1977.
Koroit was originally part of the Shire of Belfast (Belfast being the prior name of today’s Port Fairy). In the latter part of the 19th century, the township of Koroit separated from the Shire of Belfast and formed the Borough of Koroit.
In November 1870, after the proclamation of the Borough of Koroit on 7 October 1870, nine new councillors were elected from fourteen candidates. On 10 December 1870, the new Borough of Koroit elected its first mayor.