The now defunct, but still famous name of Stephenson, Blake was created when James Blake and John Stephenson signed a partnership agreement on 25 September 1830 to last until 1840.
The agreement was renewed, and the name persisted, absorbing many other type foundries in the intervening years.
The foundry had always been based around Upper Allen Street in Sheffield
The foundry had been in Sheffield in one form or another since around 1797 when a local bookseller (John Slater) and a bookseller-printer (William Bower) joined forces with a printer (Clay Bacon) to cast type, issuing their first specimen in 1809.
That founding work had persisted under many names until taken on by Garnett and Blake, and then becoming Stephenson, Blake.
Since the earliest times Stephenson, Blake had worked to 1/5000th of an inch as a matter of course: the type they founded was considered the most precise in the United Kingdom.
A London warehouse was opened in 1865 to supply the demands of Fleet Street newspapers.
Business was so good that they removed to larger London premises on Aldersgate Street in 1871.
The next major change was the move to the American Point system which had been adopted by America in 1886.
Some firms in the United Kingdom were quick to adopt this change, Stephenson, Blake renewed their moulds and matrices to work on the new American point system.