Established in 1858 as a wholly owned subsidiary of Advertiser Newspapers Limited in Adelaide, South Australia, the company steadily built up a reputation for its fine printing, both locally and as far afield as the United Kingdom and the United States of America.
In 1931 the company acquired a general printing plant called “The Register”, but the gloomy international economy and threat of world war limited any further expansion at that time.
In late 1945 the Griffin symbol, considered to be a mark of excellence in the printing industry over many centuries, was adopted as the company’s logo and has remained ever since.
It was after the Second World War that the company began a phase of rapid growth, both in processes (offset lithography, die stamping and fully automatic bookbinding) and through the merger of several other printing plants, e.g. Craftsman Press, and Vardon Price through the 1950s and 1960s.
This growth culminated in the integration of all printing sites at a brand new, £600,000 plant at Netley in Adelaide, completed on 10 January, 1964 and officially opened on 28 February 1964.
Through the 1970’s and 1980’s Griffin Press became an important name in Australian printing with its production of books (both colour and black and white), cartons, beverage labels and other printed material.
In 1991 Griffin Press became part of Pacific Magazines and Printing Limited, now known as PMP Limited. PMP Limited is a leading print media production company in Australia and New Zealand with operations focused on printing, distribution, photography and pre-press production and marketing analytic services.
In 1995 Griffin Press gained certification of a Quality Management System approved by Lloyds Register to AS/NZS ISO 9002 standards.
In 2006 Griffin Press relocated from the Netley site, to Salisbury South.
The relocation was part of a multi million dollar upgrade of print, binding and prepress systems for Griffin Press.