“El Caminito del Rey”, in English, (“The King’s little pathway”) was initially built as an access route.
It enabled workers at the hydroelectric power plants of El Chorro Gorge and Gaitanes Gorge with an easier way to transport materials, maintain and inspect the workings of the two power plants.
Construction of the “walkway” began in 1901 and was finished in 1905 and in 1921 King Alfonso XIII visited and walked along the path for the inauguration of the Conde del Guadalhorce dam and since that time it became known as the “Kings path”
The Kings Path – Photo Credit Diputacion de Malaga.
The original walkway was just 1 metre (3.3 ft) wide and in places more than 100 metres (330 ft) above the river below.
From one end to the other is about 3 kilometres. The path for many years was in a highly deteriorated state with numerous sections collapsed and large open air gaps bridged only by the narrow steel rails.
Very few of the original handrails existed but a safety-wire placed by climbers ran the length of the path.
The area is a mecca for climbers and the Caminito del Rey became known as one of the most impressive and dangerous mountain trails in the world.
But, after several people lost their lives on the walkway (in 1999 and 2000) both access points were demolished by local authorities and access prohibited.
In June 2011 the regional government of Andalusia and the local government of Málaga agreed to share the costs of a restoration project (including car parking and a museum) but even with a budget of €9 million euros,the project took approximately three years to start and only in March 2014 the restoration work began.
In its new upgraded and repaired state the Camino del Rey will have wooden and concrete flooring, glass-bottomed viewing and safety rails along the whole length.
How the Camino del Rey looks in 2014 – Photo Credit Diputacion de Malaga
Il Tiberio was a manuscript magazine produced in Barcelona at the end of the 19th century.
It contained articles, reviews of artistic and other cultural and political matters, and original drawings.
Contributors included such writers and artists as Marià Pidelaserra, Gaietà Cornet, Ramon and Juli Borrell, Emili Fontbona, Filibert Montagut, Josep Victor Solà Andreu, Joan Comellas i Viñals, and Ramon Riera Moliner.
They were all members of a group that had formed in the classrooms of Acadèmia Borrell and the tavern El Rovell de l’Ou, located on Hospital Street in Barcelona.
The Catalan painter Pere Ysern Alié received the magazine in Rome, where he went in 1896−98 to further his artistic training.
Through it, Ysern kept informed about Catalan current affairs and about the activities of the group of intellectuals and artists of which he was part, and who were his friends and colleagues.
The magazine was so named because Il Tiberio was the nickname that Riera Moliner used for Pere Ysern.
In all, 35 issues plus five special issues of Il Tiberio appeared between November 15, 1896 and May 1, 1898.