Cape Schank Lighthouse at Sunset – Photo by Australian Geographic.
The tower was built in 1859 from limestone and painted white. It is the second coastal light established in Victoria.
It is considered by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority to be the most original lighthouse under its jurisdiction.
An unusual feature of this lighthouse is its stone stairway rather than the usual wrought iron.
The present apparatus, installed in 1915 is a first order Chance Brothers lens. Upgrades of this lantern were carried out in 1907, 1917 and 1940.
The original clockwork mechanism is still in place, though the light is now turned by an electric motor.
The lighthouse was renovated from the late 1970s to the early 1980s.
Work included the refurbishment of the lantern.
<span>%d</span> bloggers like this: