Remember when Alan Maynard used to sweep the floor at Netley with kerosene laced sawdust in order to make the parquet floor presentable.
Breathing carcinogenic, hydrocarbon fumes as part of your job (hopefully) wouldn’t happen now in the Government.
It also crossed my mind, that in the Apprentice Machine Room at the old Printer’s Trade School in Kintore Avenue they had a gas heater in the corner.
Not far away from the heater hydrocarbon fumes (Benzene and Turps) from the wash ups were floating all around in the air.
How it we didn’t have an explosion I will never know.
I can remember Clarrie the smelter at the Guv and his green teeth. As there was no restriction on smoking in the workplace then, he was sucking on cigarettes all day.
Smoking the fags and inhaling the harmful lead fumes though the burning end of the cigarette would have meant that every breath of smoke was forming lead oxide in his mouth.
Also, I’m sure this lethal combination of lead fumes probably had something to do with the late Bob Miller’s health problems which lead to a very long sickness.