Including three double-deck horse trams in the foreground.
All but one tram line was built in standard gauge with the exception of that from Port Adelaide to Albert Park, built in 5’3″ inch (1.6 metre) broad gauge to accommodate the railways’ steam engines.
Some of this line also needed raising on embankments to avoid swampy ground and flooding.
There were 74 miles (119 km) of tramlines with 1062 horses and 162 cars by 1901.
Electrification occurred from 1909.