Tom Randall from Radstock Museum, who lives in Welton, has researched the history of the Stones Cross Pub.
He has found that it was originally built as a coaching inn about 200 years ago and appears on the 1822 tithe map.
The adjacent building, now the social club, was added later and was home to at least three generations of the Thatcher family who built the Welton Breweries.
He added: “At its height, the Thatcher family owned over 100 public houses across north Somerset, as far afield as Clevedon and Chepstow. This empire came to an abrupt end with the Welton Brewery fire of 1916 after which the business was sold, lock, stock and every last barrel to Georges of Bristol, in 1918.”