The Elrod was perfected by Benjamin Elrod in 1917.
The machine is an extrusion-type device with type metal entering the mould on one side and then cooling, solidifying and being pulled from the mould on the other.
The original machine only made 6 point leading. In 1920 sales and manufacture of the Elrod were transferred to the Ludlow Typograph Company, who continued to make improvements, finally developing moulds that could cast a variety of line spacing material up to 36 point, as well as type high rule.
Unlike all the rest of the type casting machines discussed, the Elrod has no matrix, and is thus limited in its output to leading or continuous line material such as rule.