“A Death by Billiard Ball.”

Screen-shot-2014-05-13-at-12The Carlisle Arms on Bateman Street was the scene of London’s only known death through near-inhalation of a billiard ball.
In November 1893, a 24-year-old envelope cutter named Walter Cowle reckoned he could place a whole billiard ball in his mouth and still close his teeth.
IMG_5813_l
This he achieved, but only by accidentally blocking his windpipe and choking to death.
The coroner later declared that it was a ‘silly and dangerous feat to attempt’.
You can still drink in the pub to this day, but it no longer contains a billiard table.
Source: Grantham Journal, 11 November 1893
via Five Weird Facts About London You Probably Didn’t Know | Londonist.

Please Leave A Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s